Instrumentation and Control Systems Test Engineer (Entry Level)
JOB DESCRIPTION *
If you are an entry level Electrical, Computer or Software Engineer with a strong interest in electrical systems software testing and troubleshooting and desire a career opportunity working in a mission-driven organization supporting the U.S. Navy’s Nuclear Propulsion Program, consider applying today!
In this position, you will develop and test real-time embedded microprocessor-based safety critical instrumentation and control (I&C) systems for nuclear powered submarines.
Typical responsibilities include:
• Development and performance of test suites to qualify I&C systems for control of Naval nuclear plants on-board submarines
• Industry bench-marking and development of novel I&C qualification methods and process requirements
• Industry bench-marking and development of in-house test and simulation platforms
Through diverse job opportunities, engineers will continue gaining technical skills and broaden their experience throughout their careers while tackling exciting and challenging assignments.
As a national asset, NNL provides employees with excellent pay and benefits as well as excellent work-life balance and employment stability.
REQUIRED SKILLS *
- BS degree in Electrical, Computer, or Software engineering or Bachelor's degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university required.
- BS degree in Electrical, Computer, or Software engineering or Bachelor's degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of relevant experience; or
- MS degree in Electrical, Computer, or Software engineering or Master's degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of one year of relevant experience
Preferred Technical Skills
- Specific academic or work experience in one or more of the following areas: Microprocessor-based embedded control systems, electrical system software/hardware development and/or testing
• Strong academic performance - GPA 3.2 or above
• Demonstrated proficiency in one or more programming languages with an emphasis on object-oriented languages including: Java, C++, or Python
• Academic, Co-Op or intern experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Software application development for embedded systems
- System, hardware and/or software testing of embedded systems
- Control or test systems using commercial tools and applications for data acquisition, control, and testing (National Instruments, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to plan, initiate and accomplish work on individual assignments or as part of a small team
• Experience working in a team environment with team members and stakeholders in related technical disciplines
• Demonstrated leadership skills in a significant academic or social endeavor
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with specific experience in writing and presenting technical reports and engineering evaluations
• Previous experience in an NNL-sponsored Design Project